The Wyoming women’s tennis team played hard in a 7-0 loss at Oklahoma Wednesday in Norman.
The Sooners (2-0) opened the match by winning the doubles point behind the strength of victories at No. 1 and 2 doubles. Carmen and Ivana Corley defeated the duo of Lucia Malinak and Maria Oreshkina, 6-3 at No. 1 while at No. 2 doubles, Dana Guzman and Martina Capurro defeated Mihaela Kaftanova and Ida Krause, 6-2.
Ana Fernandez and Sophie Zehender were leading at the No. 3 doubles spot, 5-3 but that match went unfinished after Oklahoma clinched the doubles point.
OU swept the singles portion of the match but got some battles from the Cowgirls (2-2) in the process. Carmen Corley defeated Oreshkina at the No. 1 spot, 7-6 (7-5) and 6-3. At the second singles position, Zehender forced a third set tiebreak, but fell to Capurro 6-2, 4-6 and 1-0 (10-5). OU was able to win in straight sets in the No. 3-6 singles matches.
The Cowgirls are now off for the rest of January and will return to action February 6 for a contest against Southeastern Louisiana down in McComb, Miss.
Wyoming at Oklahoma
1/20/21 at Oklahoma
Oklahoma 7, Wyoming 0
1. Carmen Corley/Ivana Corley (OU) def. Lucia Malinak/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) 6-3
2. Dana Guzman/Martina Capurro (OU) def. Mihaela Kaftanova/Ida Krause (WYO) 6-2
3. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) vs. Kianah Motosono/Marcelina Podlinska (OU) 5-3, unfinished
1. Carmen Corley (OU) def. Maria Oreshkina (WYO) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Martina Capurro (OU) def. Sophie Zehender (WYO) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Ivana Corley (OU) def. Ana Fernandez (WYO) 6-4, 6-4
4. Dana Guzman (OU) def. Lucia Malinak (WYO) 6-3, 6-3
5. Marcelina Podlinska (OU) def. Ida Krause (WYO) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Alyse Cormier (WYO) 6-4, 6-3