When Sheriff Dave O’Malley announced his retirement on August 27th his announcement set in motion a series of events to seek his replacement:
- a call for candidates interested in filling the position to submit resumes by September 23rd.
- a candidate forum for applicants was held September 28th including the following candidates
- Aaron Appelhans
- Baend Buus
- Yana Ludwig
- Alex Simon
- a lawsuit was filed in District Court seeking an injunction to extend the deadline for a list of candidates to be sent to County Commissioners for consideration. The original deadline to submit the list to the County Commissioners was September 30th, the lawsuit was filed September 29th.
- a temporary restraining order was granted by the court on September 29th placing a hold on the hiring process until the case could be heard in November.
- a new call for candidates to submit resumes went out on October 29th with a deadline of November 16th.
On October 22nd, 2020 retiring Sheriff Dave O’Malley sent the following letter to Carrie Murthy, Chair of the Albany County Democratic Party:
Download the original documents here: