When we recycle we are processing used materials or waste into new products to prevent from wasting resources.
Last year the City of Laramie recycling programs recycled and diverted more than 9.7 million pounds of materials that could have ended up in the Laramie Landfill. By the number’s here’s a recap of your efforts to be good stewards of our land:
- 3 million pounds of Single Stream recycling was collected and sent to market.
- 6.3 million pounds of compost was picked up and used by residents, businesses and City Departments.
- 91,000 pounds of Tires were sent to recyclers.
- 10,000 pounds of Electronic Waste was sent to dismantlers and recycled.
- 59,000 pounds of Mulch was given to the public free of charge.
- 306,000 pounds of Scrap Metal was sent to local recyclers
- 6,500 pounds of Household Hazardous Waste was diverted from the landfill
- 5,000 pounds of auto batteries were sent to recyclers.
When you put the whole picture together, recycling is the right thing to do, for we have not inherited the Earth from our ancestors; we merely are borrowing it from our children!