The Cowgirl tennis team opened up dual play with a dominate 7-0 sweep of the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, on Wednesday afternoon, in Tulsa.
“The team was very professional as it went about business today,” head coach Dean Clower said. “From the warm-up to the first ball we did things the right way. We really took steps forward today. It’s always good to win the season opener especially in front of a big crowd.”
The Cowgirls started off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to go ahead 1-0. The number one team of Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel defeated Marizanne Bouwer and Andrada Gordan, 6-3, while Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva clinched the point with 6-3 win over Ximena Puentes and Petya Simenova. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova wrapped up doubles action with a 6-1 victory over Brenda Mercado Jove and Nika Munoz.
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming swept all six matches. Stencel defeated Bouwer, 6-0, 6-0, followed by Jonas with a solid two set win, 6-1, 6-1, over Gordona. Zhelyazkova also earned a straight set win, 6-0, 6-1, over Puentes. At the fourth position, Gecheva defeated Simeonova, 6-2, 6-2. The final two Cowgirls in action were Parizher and Cecilia Mercier. Parizher defeated Mercado Jove, 6-1, 6-0, while Mercier disposed of Munoz, 6-0, 6-2.
The Cowgirls will return to action on Sunday, Jan. 25 against the Northern Colorado Bears. The match is set for 10 a.m. MT in Greeley.
Wyoming 7, Oral Roberts 0
- Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Marizanne Bouwer (ORU), 6-0, 6-0
- Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Andrada Gordan (ORU), 6-1, 6-1
- Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Ximena Puentes (ORU), 6-0, 6-1
- Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Petya Simeonova (ORU), 6-2, 6-2
- Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Brenda Mercado Jove (ORU), 6-1, 6-0
- Cecilia Mercier (WY) def. Nika Munoz (ORU), 6-0, 6-2
- Stencel/Parizher (WY) def. Bouwer/Gordan (ORU), 6-3
- Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY) def. Puentes/Simeonova (ORU), 6-3
- Jonas/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Mercado Jove/Munoz (ORU), 6-1